Seared Rabbit with Creole Mustard Cream Sauce Recipe
December 18, 2017
The creamy mustard sauce in this recipe pairs nicely with the earthy, meaty flavor of the rabbit
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 large rabbit
- Â½ cup flour
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 diced shallots
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Creole whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1. Cut up the rabbit by removing the hind and front legs. Remove the back bone and discard. Slice the saddle in half.
2. Season the rabbit with the salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off the excess flour.
3. Heat a large sauce pot over medium heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot and almost smoking add the rabbit and sear on both sides until golden brown. Remove the rabbit and add the shallot and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the white wine and reduce by half.
4. Add the chicken stock, cream, mustard and thyme. Add the rabbit back to the sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn down to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
5. Place the cooked rabbit on a platter and top with the sauce and serve.