Black Bean and Venison Chili Recipe
October 03, 2017
Free up your freezer space with this one-pot venison recipe, the perfect comfort food for a chilly day
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound venison, ground or small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a heavy stew pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Sautée venison, onions and garlic on medium-high heat until meat is browned.
- Add spices and continue to brown to release and toast the spices. Add tomato paste and continue to brown 1-2 minutes.
- Add water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer at least 20 minutes. Add black beans and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, avocado and cheddar cheese, if desired.
- To cook in a slow cooker, sautée ingredients as directed. Then add meat mixture, water, broth and beans to the slow cooker. Simmer on low 1-3 hours.