December 11, 2018
The authors of Cooking Big Game share with us their Game Bird Tortilla Soup Recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound game bird meat, chopped
- 1 (1.5-ounce) package taco seasoning*
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups turkey/chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips or 6 small corn tortillas, torn into pieces
- Lime wedges and cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté onion, pepper and corn in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes.
- Add bird meat and taco seasoning, sautéing an additional 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, a lime wedge and/or cilantro.
*To make your own taco seasoning, combine 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon granulated onion, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.