Game Bird Tortilla Soup Recipe
September 19, 2017
[caption id="attachment_88257" align="aligncenter" width="1280"] Top this delicious tortilla soup with some creamy avocado and sour cream. (Photo courtesy of Scott & Tiffany Haugen)[/caption]
Put your hunting rewards to good use with this game bird tortilla soup recipe
By: Scott & Tiffany Haugen
The authors of Cooking Big Game, share with us their game bird tortilla soup recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound game bird meat, chopped
- 1 (1.5-ounce) package taco seasoning*
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups turkey/chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips or 6 small corn tortillas, torn into pieces
- Lime wedges and cilantro, for garnish
1. In a large pot, sauté onion, pepper and corn in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes.
2. Add bird meat and taco seasoning, sautéing an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes.
4. Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, a lime wedge and/or cilantro.
*To make your own taco seasoning, combine 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon granulated onion, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.