Game Bird Tortilla Soup Recipe
Put your hunting rewards to good use with this Game Bird Tortilla Soup Recipe
The authors of Cooking Big Game share with us their Game Bird Tortilla Soup Recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound game bird meat, chopped
- 1 (1.5-ounce) package taco seasoning*
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups turkey/chicken stock or broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips or 6 small corn tortillas, torn into pieces
- Lime wedges and cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté onion, pepper and corn in olive oil on medium heat, 2-3 minutes.
- Add bird meat and taco seasoning, sautéing an additional 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with chopped avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, a lime wedge and/or cilantro.
*To make your own taco seasoning, combine 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon granulated onion, ½ teaspoon granulated garlic, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, ½ teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt.