October 05, 2020
By Bruce Ingram
Prep time: 20 minutes + soaking time
Cook time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- 3-4 deer tongues
- 4 soft corn tortillas
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into strips about 2 inches long
- 1 bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 cup shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Precook tongues. Place in small slow cooker and cover tongues with water. Cover with lid and cook on low setting for 3 hours. Remove tongues from liquid and chill.
- Peel outer membrane from chilled tongues. The membrane has a rubbery texture and is inedible. Slice tongues into strips. Sprinkle with seasonings and stir.
- Heat oil in cast-iron skillet over medium. Add onion, zucchini and pepper. Cook 4 to 6 minutes until slightly tender, then add tongue and continue to cook another 2 minutes until tongue is heated through.
- Put contents in soft corn tortillas and serve topped with shredded lettuce or cabbage and grated cheese and salsa. Makes two servings.