June 05, 2018
Marsha Flynn, a family friend of Michael Hunsucker from Heartland Bowhunter on Outdoor Channel, treats us to her extra special Bacon-Wrapped Venison Skewers Recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 venison steak (can substitute duck breast)
- Bacon slices
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Half a small onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or use fresh garlic)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger powder
- Place all ingredients in a blender, except the venison and bacon, and barely puree until mixed. Experiment with fresh ginger if you have it. I also use fresh garlic whenever possible. Taste the marinade periodically while mixing. Once, I added mustard, but couldn't tell if it made a big difference. If you don't have a blender, then chop onion and garlic by hand.
- Cut venison steak into chunks. Place all marinade ingredients in a resealable plastic bag and marinate the meat for at least 2 hours, but preferably 24 hours. Save some of the marinade separately if you'd like to drizzle it over the venison after cooking.
- Soak toothpicks in water for 30 minutes.
- Cut bacon into halves or thirds. Wrap bacon pieces around venison chunks and secure with a toothpick. Grill over a medium to medium-high heat, and watch it carefully. The bacon will flame, but it sears beautifully. Remove venison from grill. If cooking duck, take it off at medium heat, still a little red, or it will be too dry. Drizzle reserved marinade over the meat, if you have it.