Bacon-Wrapped Venison Skewers Recipe
June 05, 2018
By: Marsha Flynn
Marsha Flynn, a family friend of Michael Hunsucker from Heartland Bowhunter on Outdoor Channel, treats us to her extra special Bacon-Wrapped Venison Skewers Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 venison steak (can substitute duck breast)
- Bacon slices
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Half a small onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or use fresh garlic)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ginger powder
1. Place all ingredients in a blender, except the venison and bacon, and barely puree until mixed. Experiment with fresh ginger if you have it. I also use fresh garlic whenever possible. Taste the marinade periodically while mixing. Once, I added mustard, but couldn't tell if it made a big difference. If you don't have a blender, then chop onion and garlic by hand.
2. Cut venison steak into chunks. Place all marinade ingredients in a resealable plastic bag and marinate the meat for at least 2 hours, but preferably 24 hours. Save some of the marinade separately if you'd like to drizzle it over the venison after cooking.
3. Soak toothpicks in water for 30 minutes.
4. Cut bacon into halves or thirds. Wrap bacon pieces around venison chunks and secure with a toothpick. Grill over a medium to medium-high heat, and watch it carefully. The bacon will flame, but it sears beautifully. Remove venison from grill. If cooking duck, take it off at medium heat, still a little red, or it will be too dry. Drizzle reserved marinade over the meat, if you have it.