Wild Bear Tequila Chili Tacos Recipe
October 03, 2017
This isn't your typical taco recipe - swapping beef for bear will exceed your expectations
By: Chef Tom Minchella
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean bear meat, ground
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red chilies, chopped with seeds
- 2 jalapeÃ±os, chopped
- Â¾ cup tequila
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 or more cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 Â½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 12 flour tortillas, toasted in a hot pan or grill
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeÃ±o, chopped
- Â½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Â½ head of iceberg lettuce, shaved thin
- Â½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
1. Heat a large 4-quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Season ground bear meat with salt and pepper.
2. Add olive oil and then seasoned bear meat. Stir until meat is cooked through about 5-8 minutes.
3. While meat is browning, mix all salsa ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
4. Add diced peppers, onion and the garlic. Stand back and add tequila. Be careful, the alcohol will ignite and burn off.
5. Add crushed tomatoes and beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add spices and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, adding more beef broth as needed.
6. Distribute bear meat mixture among toasted tortillas and top with salsa. Add optional ingredients if desired.