This colorful trout ceviche recipe brings freshness and complexity to the dinner table
- 1 pound fresh trout fillets; cut to 1-inch pieces
- Juice of 6 limes
- 1-2 red bell pepper; seeded and diced
- 1 small onion; diced
- 1 small avocado; diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes; halved
- 1 jalapeno; seeded; ribbed and minced
- Pinch of oregano
- Handful of cilantro; well torn or chopped (optional)
- Coarse salt
Cover trout in lime juice in non-reactive casserole dish with lid. (Go for a Pyrex, ceramic or plastic container; a Ziploc bag will work too.) Let sit covered in the refrigerator for an hour then stir, making sure all of the fish gets exposed to the acidic lime juice.
Refrigerate for 3 hours, allowing juice to cook fish. Drain and discard juice from fish. Toss all vegetables, oregano and cilantro together. Add fish and mix. Salt to taste. Serve with crackers, tortilla chips or warm tortillas.