October 03, 2017
By Chef Tom Minchella
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean bear meat, ground
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red chilies, chopped with seeds
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- ¾ cup tequila
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 or more cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt
- 12 flour tortillas, toasted in a hot pan or grill
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño, chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce, shaved thin
- ½ pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- Heat a large 4-quart sauce pan over medium high heat. Season ground bear meat with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil and then seasoned bear meat. Stir until meat is cooked through about 5-8 minutes.
- While meat is browning, mix all salsa ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- Add diced peppers, onion and the garlic. Stand back and add tequila. Be careful, the alcohol will ignite and burn off.
- Add crushed tomatoes and beef broth and bring to a simmer. Add spices and simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours, adding more beef broth as needed.
- Distribute bear meat mixture among toasted tortillas and top with salsa. Add optional ingredients if desired.