October 05, 2020
By Bruce Ingram
Prep time: 20 minutes + soaking time
Cook time: 6 hours
- 1 pound venison steak, diced into small cubes
- 2 deer kidneys
- 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 10 taco shells
- Grated cheese
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Sliced avocado
- Chopped tomato
- Black olives
- Sour cream, guacamole, taco sauce as desired
- Cover kidneys with milk and soak for a minimum of 18 hours. Drain kidneys and chop.
- Place kidneys and diced steak in slow cooker. Sprinkle with dry taco mix and add 1 cup water. Cover and cook at low temperature for 6 hours. If necessary during cooking, add more water to keep meat from becoming dry.
- Close to serving time, check meat. If too watery, put meat mixture into shallow skillet and cook down liquid.
- Assemble tacos as desired with meat mixture, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sliced avocado and black olives. Dollops of sour cream, guacamole and taco sauce can be added. Makes 10 or so servings.