Permitted use provided by: MissHomemade.com
Venison Pot Roast
- venison roast (you can fit into roasting pan)
- large onion, sliced thick
- two celery stalks, cut in 3 inch lengths
- five carrots, cut in 3 inch lengths
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS steak sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- pinch of thyme
- water to cover
PREHEAT oven to 300 degrees.
Rub garlic on roast and place in a roasting pan. Arrange roast so it sits on top of the onion slices. Surround with celery and carrots.
Fill pan with water so just the top of the roast is exposed. Add soy sauce, steak sauce, bouillon cubes, Worcestershire sauce and remaining spices - pouring over roast and water. Bake in oven for 4 hours. It should cut with a fork when done.
Make gravy with the stock by putting the roasting pan on the burner on high, mix 1/2 cup milk and 3 TBSP flour well and gradually whisk into broth; stirring constantly.
NOTE: You may also make this in your slow cooker. You add more water to cover everything in the crock and cook for an extra hour. Extra water results in more stock for the gravy.
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
Bring above 3 ingredients to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until most of the cranberries have popped.
**Add 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and minced) for a little "kick" to your sauce.
- 2009 Castle Rock Pinot Noir ($12)
- 2009 Doña Paula Los Cardos Cabernet Sauvignon ($10)
- 2009 Bodegas Nekeas Vega Sindoa Tempranillo ($8)