March 02, 2021
By Kristy Crabtree
This meat pie is perfect for cleaning out last year’s ground venison burger.
- 1 pound ground venison meat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, finely cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water
- Store-bought pastry dough for a double crust, defrosted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and brown ground game meat. Remove from skillet when done and set aside. Add butter, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes and garlic to the skillet and continue to cook until vegetables are softened. Add ground venison meat to vegetables and season with salt and white pepper. Remove from heat.
- Roll out pastry dough on a floured surface wide enough to cover a 9-inch pie pan. Place one pastry sheet on the bottom and fill with meat mixture. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Brush the outside edge of the pastry with the egg wash. Carefully place the second pastry sheet on top of the cheese and trim excess pastry around the pie pan. Press the outside edges of the crust together to seal. Using a sharp knife cut a few holes in the top of the pie to release moisture. Brush the pie with egg wash and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn pie and continue to bake for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and serve with a side of sour cream.
For more information about this venison meat pie recipe, please visit: NevadaFoodies.com