Venison Holiday Appetizer Recipe
A must-have appetizer for entertaining, this venison loin and cheese on toast recipe will make an inviting addition to your holiday spread – they won't last!
December 14, 2017
Prep time: 20 minutes + marinating time
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 deer loin
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Splash lemon juice
- Brown sugar
- Slap Ya Mamma seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Sourdough baguette
- Crush garlic
- Horseradish Havarti cheese, sliced thinly
- Green onion, white parts sliced lengthwise
- Marinate a deer loin for 2 hours in 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 1/3 cup of teriyaki, 1/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce, a splash of lemon juice, heaping spoonful of brown sugar and some Slap Ya Momma seasoning. After 2 hours, remove the loin from the marinade and allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then spray loin with Pam.
- Prepare grill; a two-zone hot charcoal fire is preferable. Toss applewood onto the fire before cooking. If using wood chips, soak in water for 30 minutes before adding to the heat. Sear loin on both sides over direct heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Next, move loin to the indirect heat side of the grill and cook for an additional 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- Pull loin off the grill and allow it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Slice sourdough baguette into pencil-thin width. Heat butter and a lot of crushed garlic, and then slather onto bread and broil until golden. Slice loin thinner than a pencil. Place a very thin slice of horseradish Havarti cheese onto bread, and then the meat (use all the juice), and top with a slice of green onion.