Venison Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
This homemade venison soup is delicious, easy to make and a guaranteed belly warmer
My homemade venison cheeseburger soup is so delicious, easy to make and a guaranteed belly warmer. This is comfort food at its best. Serve with fresh bread and a salad for the ultimate meal. If you want to add 1 pound of ground beef with the venison burger - you may do it. It works perfectly; just drain the ground beef after browning it.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup diced potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 pounds ground venison
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup jalapeño chile peppers, finely chopped (wear gloves)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon homemade Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ quarts homemade beef broth
- 1 ½ pounds white American cheese, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- In a large saucepan, add the potatoes and enough water to cover them by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Cover and keep warm.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the venison burger and cook, breaking up the meat slightly with a wooden spoon, until the burger begins to brown, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and the bell peppers and cook, stirring, for another minute or two. Add the jalapeños and then the flour, herb blend, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring until mixed well and thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, lower the heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until heated through, taking care not to break the meat up too much. You may also use 1 pound of ground venison and 1 pound of ground beef if you wish.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the slices of cheese, one at a time, and stir gently until the cheese melts into the soup and the soup becomes creamy. Add the scallions and the potatoes and cook just until heated through.
- Serve hot and serve with garlic bread (or cheese bread).
For more hunting and venison recipes visit MissHomemade.com.