Venison Cheese Tortellini Bake Recipe
A flavorful wild game recipe that is easy to prepare and includes ground venison, cheese tortellini, petite diced tomatoes and three types of cheeses melted to a golden brown
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely shredded Romano cheese
- 12-inch cast iron skillet
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook cheese tortellini according to package directions, drain and set aside.
3. Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and sauté chopped onion and garlic until soft and translucent. Add spinach to onion mixture and cook until wilted. Remove from pan.
4. Add ground venison to skillet and cook until browned.
5. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, onions and spinach. Add cooked tortellini to skillet and gently mix ingredients together.
6. Top with 1/4-thick slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Romano and Parmesan cheeses.
7. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
8. Remove foil and continue cooking until heated through completely.
Optional: Turn on broiler for the last 2-3 minutes to ensure your cheese is golden brown.
For more venison recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com.