November 25, 2015
By Nevada Foodies
If you don’t have all of these game meats in your fridge, you can always substitute. If you prefer your chili with beans, go ahead and add a can of chili beans or kidney beans or even black beans.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound ground antelope
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1 pound ground elk
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 14.5-ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce chicken broth
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 bay leaf
(Nevada Foodies photo)
- Heat large stock pot over medium heat and add butter, oil, onion, peppers and garlic. Sauté until onions become soft and translucent.
- Add ground antelope, venison and elk meat. Cook until browned.
- Remove meat mixture from heat and carefully add to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients and gently stir together. Turn slow cooker to low and continue to simmer for 8-10 hours.
Serve the wild game chili with sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped onion, red bell pepper, cilantro and crispy corn meal sticks.
Crispy Corn Meal Sticks
Boil 2 ½ cups water and add a pinch of salt. Mix 1 ¼ cup yellow corn meal with 1 cup water. Add corn meal to the boiling water and reduce heat stirring until mixture thickens. Add a pinch of sugar, salt and chili powder.
Spoon mixture into a 13×9-inch baking pan and cool in fridge for an hour. Slice cold corn meal, spray baking sheet with non-stick spray and place cut corn meal sticks on sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, gently turn over and bake another 10 minutes until crispy and browned.
For more information about this recipe, please visit: http://www.nevadafoodies.com/best-triple-wild-game-chili/