This Spicy Fish Pasta Recipe from Fishful Thinker TV works great with any sort of white meat fish and begs for some improv both in the pasta style and sauce itself. Onions, capers, bell peppers or any sort of herb could be added to suit your tastes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless white meat fish, cubed
- 1 package spaghetti pasta
- ½-⅔ cup reserved pasta water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus extra
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs (oregano and basil)
- ½ cup black olives, quartered
- Flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Start by cooking your pasta – we used thin spaghetti – to a firm al dente. Drain (but don’t rinse!), reserving about a cup of the pasta water, and toss pasta with a touch of olive oil. Cover and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or flat bottom saucepan over medium-high heat. Add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and a strong teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes. Cook for one minute, then add chopped garlic and ½ teaspoon of salt. Swirl around for a minute or two, until the garlic smells fragrant, then add the crushed tomatoes and stir together. Allow spicy sauce to simmer for about 3 minutes, then add about ½ cup of the reserved pasta water. Add a pinch of black pepper and a tablespoon of dried herbs (we used a combination of oregano and basil). Cook for about two minutes, then add black olives. Allow all of this to simmer and come together while the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add white meat fish (cut into large cubes). Stir fish into the sauce and cook over medium-low heat, until the fish flakes easily, about 3-4 minutes. Lightly break fish up, then taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. At this point, add the pasta into the sauce and toss gently to coat, adding a bit more reserved pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
- Lastly, top this Spicy Fish Pasta Recipe with some chopped flat-leaf parsley and freshly-grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with warm French bread or crunchy garlic bread.