April 08, 2015
By Raschell Rule
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: Approximately 2 hours 30 minutes
- 12 pound turkey
- 3 green onions
- 5 tablespoons canola oil, divided
Mango Salsa Ingredients:
- 5 fresh mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Spice Rub Ingredients:
- 1 ½ tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons homemade brown sugar (packed)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon homemade garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons homemade onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to high. Brush green onions with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for two minutes on each side and thinly slice into a bowl.
2. Add the mangoes, jalapeños, lime juice and 3 tablespoons of the canola oil. Mix and cover; set aside.
3. Prepare the grill for cooking the turkey; adding a drip pan, and placing coals for indirect heat. In a bowl, mix the spice rub ingredients together.
4. Wash the turkey and pat dry; turn the wings back to hold the neck skin in place. Untuck the legs and loosen the skin by gently putting your hand (or knife) under the skin of the bird. Gently place the spice rub under the turkey skin, and return the legs to a tucked position. Brush the entire turkey with the remaining canola oil.
5. Place the turkey, breast side up, on the grill and over the drip pan. Cover and grill to an internal thigh temperature of 180 degrees and the breast at 170 degrees which takes approximately 2 hours 30 minutes.
6. When the turkey is done, bring in and let sit for at least 20 minutes before carving. Serve with the mango salsa.
For more turkey recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.