Southern-Style Fried Shellcrackers Recipe
Redear sunfish are delicious any way you prepare them, but this simple, traditional recipe is hard to beat.
June 28, 2021
Southern-Style Fried Shellcrackers
Prep time: 15 minutes+ 1-2 hours marinating time
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
- 2 pounds pan-dressed shellcrackers (scales, heads and entrails removed)
- 3 ounces Louisiana hot sauce
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Peanut oil for frying
- Marinate the fish for 1 to 2 hours in a mixture of hot sauce and milk. Remove fish and drain.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large plastic bag. Add one or two fish at a time and shake to coat.
- Cook the fish in 2 inches of peanut oil in a deep fryer heated to 365 degrees. Fry until the thickest part of the fish flakes easily with a fork, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining fish.