Smoked Habanero Venison Jerky Recipe
If you like venison jerky with a spicy kick, try this recipe featuring habaneros and red pepper flakes – it's slightly smoky, a little sweet and a whole lotta fiery!
Prep time: 8-10 hours
Cook time: 4-6 hours
Recommended wood chips/pellets: Hardwood Maple
- 2 pounds venison roast, trimmed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 habanero peppers, minced
- With a sharp knife, slice the venison roast into 1/4-inch-thick slices, slicing against the grain. Trim any fat or connective tissue. Set venison slices aside.
- To make the marinade, place all other ingredients (onion powder, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire, pineapple juice, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and habaneros) in the pitcher of a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Combine marinade and venison jerky in a zip-top bag; place in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- When ready to cook the venison jerky, set smoker temperature to 180 degrees F and preheat with lid closed for 15 minutes.
- Remove the venison jerky from the marinade; discard marinade.
- Arrange marinated venison slices in a single layer directly on the grill grate. If you like your venison jerky a little spicier, sprinkle the wet jerky with additional red pepper flakes.
- Smoke meat for 4 to 5 hours, or until jerky is dry but still chewy and somewhat pliant when you bend it.
- Remove venison jerky from grill and transfer to a cooling rack; allow to cool for 1 hour.
- Store Smoked Habanero Venison Jerky in an airtight container or zip-top bag in refrigerator for up to two weeks or one month in the freezer. Enjoy!
For more Traeger recipes, visit: https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes