Slow Cooker Bison Cheeseburger Subs Recipe
Looking for a kid-friendly recipe the whole family will enjoy? These Bison Cheeseburger Subs are deliciously cheesy and sure to please
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- ¼ pound ground pork back fat or salt pork
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 cup onions, small diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup condensed milk
- ½ pound Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 fresh submarine rolls, split
- 8 sandwich sliced pickles
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 8 lettuce leaves
- Preheat a large sauté pan to medium heat.
- Place the pork fat or salt pork into the sauté pan and cook until rendered and starting to brown.
- Add the ground bison. Cook until the bison meat is well browned.
- Add the onion and garlic to the sauté pan and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Place the bison mixture, condensed milk, Velveeta cheese cubes, ketchup and mustard into the slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Secure the lid on the slow cooker and cook on medium heat for 2 hours; stirring every 45 minutes.
- Assemble each bison cheeseburger sub by placing a lettuce leaf inside the sub roll, followed by a large spoonful of the bison/cheese mixture. Garnish each bison sub with pickles, tomato slices and perhaps your favorite hot sauce.