Savory Garlic Mushroom Ground Elk Recipe
This is a simple, savory 'stroganoff' recipe that uses garlic, mushrooms, onion, canned mushroom soup, fresh sage and ground elk burger.
September 10, 2015
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound ground elk
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can mushroom soup mix
- 1/2 cup water
- Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter, onion, garlic and mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms and onion until they are lightly browned, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add chopped sage and mix.
- Move mushrooms to the side of the pan and add ground elk and continue cooking until elk is browned.
- Reduce heat to low and add mushroom soup mix and ½ cup of water to the pan. Stir together and bring to a simmer.
- For a savory classic flavor similar to stroganoff, add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to the mix and stir. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve over rice.
- Garnish with fresh chives and sage.
For more elk venison recipes, visit: nevadafoodies.com