Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Recommended wood chips/pellets: Hardwood Pecan
- 1 whole rainbow trout, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 garlic bulb, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 orange slices
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Set grill temperature to high and preheat with the lid closed for 15 minutes.
- To make the brown butter, place butter in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. After the butter melts completely (watch close, as this will happen quickly), it will begin to foam, and the milk solids will begin to brown.
- After all foam subsides and the butter looks golden brown, add the onion, herbs, garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Lay out a piece of foil that is 3 inches longer than the fish on each end. Spoon the garlic and herbs from the brown butter and stuff inside the fish cavity with the citrus slices.
- Drizzle the exterior of the fish with the remaining brown butter and season with salt and chili powder.
- Fold the foil up around the fish, creating a packet. Place the packet directly on the grill grate and cook until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees, about 15 minutes. Serve with brown butter rice and enjoy.
For more Traeger recipes, visit: https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes