Yield: 1 cake or 24 large cupcakes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- ¾ cup homemade unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can solid pack pumpkin, or make your own pumpkin puree
- 2 ⅓ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 cake pan.
2. For the cake batter, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add pumpkin. Combine the flour, pie spice, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and ginger; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
3. Fill prepared cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake and refrigerate leftovers.
5. For cupcakes, fill tins ¾ full, and bake for approximately 20 minutes. This recipe makes 24 large (not jumbo) cupcakes.
For more pumpkin pie spice recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.