Poached Maine Lobster with Coconut Broth Recipe
Fresh ingredients like wood ear mushrooms and shallots come together with a blend of spices to create this delicious seasonal soup
Total time: 2 hours
- 4 Maine lobsters
- 1 gallon of water
- 1 ginger, sliced
- 1 lemongrass, chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leafs
- 2 cups white wine
- ¼ cup Thai basil leaves, torn
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 red Thai chili, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shallots, fried
Coconut Broth Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons lemongrass, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons, shallots, minced
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup lobster stock
- 2 teaspoons Thai red chili, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons tamarind
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 heads baby bok choy, julienned lengthwise
- 1 cup wood ear mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons wok mix
- 1 tablespoon blended oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. To make the poaching liquid, in a deep pot on high heat, add water, sliced ginger, chopped lemongrass, 2 kaffir lime leaves and wine. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Next take a knife and pierce it through the head of the lobster. Remove the tail, claws and knuckles from the lobster. Place the bodies in 400-degree oven for 20 minutes.
3. Assemble an ice bath.
4. Place the claws and knuckles in the poaching liquid for 2 minutes, then add the tails and cook for another 5 minutes. Transfer tail, claws and knuckles to ice bath. Let cool for 10-20 minutes. Remove the lobster meat from all parts of the lobster and reserve.
5. Place all lobster shells and bodies back in the poaching liquid and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the liquid and reserve for the coconut broth.
6. To make the coconut broth, heat oil in a stock pot on medium heat. Sweat the minced lemongrass, ginger, garlic and shallots for 2 minutes.
7. Next, add the coconut milk, lobster stock, remaining Thai chili, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind and lime leaves. Simmer for 20 minutes and finish with lime juice. The coconut broth should be spicy, salty, sour and sweet.
8. To prepare the wood ear mushrooms, in a sauté pan, add the oil and sweat the wok mix for about a minute. Next add the mushrooms and cook another 3 minutes. Add bok choy, season and cook for another minute.
9. To assemble components of the recipe, heat the coconut broth over medium heat. Add the lobster to the broth and warm for about 3 minutes or until lobster is warm. Plate into a bowl and top with stir fried vegetables. Garnish the top with cilantro, basil, chili and fried shallots. Serve and enjoy!