This homemade pie crust recipe makes two 9-inch pie crusts and can be used for any pie, quiche, pastry or anything else you can think of.
Pie pastry dough is made completely with shortening. Make sure to mix ingredients as quickly as possible and that all ingredients are very cold.
For a slightly sweeter pastry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of white sugar to the flour.
For a no-bake pie, bake pie crust at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Yield: 2 (9-inch) pie crusts
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- ⅓ cup vegetable shortening (very cold)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (very cold)
- 3 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ cup ice cold water
1. Mix shortening, butter, flour and salt together with a fork or pastry blender until very crumbly. You can also use a food processor. Add as much water as needed to hold together, then mix lightly with a fork.
2. Roll gently on a floured pastry cloth to about an inch larger than pie plate. Fold carefully in half, lift to pie plate; unfold. Press into pan.
3. For a single-crust pie, trim with a small knife to about 1/2 inch beyond rim. Fold up and pinch so edge of pie is raised from rim.
4. For a two-crust pie, trim bottom crust to edge of rim, fill and top with crust about 1/2 inch larger than rim. Tuck top crust under bottom along rim. Seal with floured fork.
5. To prevent a soggy pie crust, brush a thin layer of egg white over the bottom crust before filling. Works every time.
For more pie recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.
Tried this recipe? Share your comments below using Facebook!