January 07, 2019
Total time: 20-30 minutes
- 4 ribeye steaks (1-inch thick)
- Coarse salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 (4-ounce) package instant mashed potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package prewashed spring salad mix
- Your favorite salad dressing
- Two gallon-size zip-top bags
- Kitchen towels
- An hour before you cook, take steaks out of your cooler to let them warm up a bit – cold steaks do not cook evenly. I usually start cooking my steaks when they feel like room temperature to the touch. Keep your steaks covered to keep away bugs, pets, wild animals and debris. However, use common sense. Don’t leave your steaks out long if it’s a scorching 115 degrees outside.
- When you’re ready to cook, start with the mashed potatoes. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil (as stated on the packaging). Meanwhile, line the first zip-top bag with the other one, and empty the mashed potatoes packet into the bags. This step may require an extra set of hands – carefully pour boiled water into the double bag. Squeeze out most of the air and close the bags. Keep warm and set aside.
- To cook the steaks, heat oil over medium-high heat. Dab steaks dry with paper towels and season liberally with coarse salt and pepper. When oil begins to slightly smoke, cook each steak for 2-3 minutes on each side for medium-rare. Use a meat thermometer to be sure – shoot for 130 degrees. Place a pat of butter on top of each steak, tent with foil and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Carefully massage the mashed potato bag using kitchen towels to cover your hands – bag will be hot! Spoon mashed potatoes onto disposable dinner plates along with the rested steaks and salad.
Check here for more easy and delicious Go RVing dinner recipe ideas.