January 22, 2023
NSSF Note: We are pleased to post the latest of our occasional Q&A features with an elected official who supports hunting and the shooting sports. NSSF thanks U.S. Rep. Morgan Luttrell (R-Texas) for agreeing to talk with us. A first-term Congressman, U.S. Rep. Luttrell serves on the U.S. House of Representatives’ Armed Services Committee, Committee on Homeland Security and the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. Rep. Luttrell is a retired Navy SEAL.
- 1) Who introduced you to hunting and the shooting sports?
My father introduced me as a child, and I have loved it ever since.
- 2) What was your most recent hunting or shooting sports experience?
My most recent hunting excursion was a grizzly bear hunt in Alaska, and it was an unforgettable experience.
- 3) Describe your favorite hunting or shooting sports activity.
My favorite shooting sports are long-range shooting and boar hunting.
- 4) Which piece of pending legislation related to the firearm industry is particularly important to you and why?
I recently co-sponsored H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, which would allow citizens the right to carry concealed freely between states without worrying about conflicting state codes. I’m also keeping a close eye on the new overreaching ATF rule that will treat guns with stabilizing accessories like short-barreled rifles, which require a federal license to own under the National Firearms Act.
- 5) What do you see as the challenges and opportunities for hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts?
Our Second Amendment is always under attack, and as a Congressman and pro-Second Amendment patriot, I believe it’s my responsibility to defend it. In Congress, I’ll always look for opportunities to protect our right to bear arms.