You may also fry up some Polish sausage to add to this New Year's Black-Eyed Pea Recipe. It's delicious!
For the black-eyed peas, I generally let them soak overnight. If pressed for time, you can cover them with water, bring to a boil, and let soak for 1 hour.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12-ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and set aside to use as topping for peas.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper and mushrooms to the bacon drippings. Sprinkle with the garlic and onion powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas, diced tomatoes and green chilies, salt, chili powder, pepper and water. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 1 hours or until peas are tender. Add additional water of necessary.
- Sprinkle the top of this New Year's Black-Eyed Pea Recipe with the crumbled bacon. Serve with crackers or cornbread.
For more recipes from Raschell Rule, visit: misshomemade.com