Every year, Las Vegas, Nev., hosts the largest outdoor tradeshow in the world, SHOT Show (Jan. 22-25). All hunting and shooting manufacturers and members of outdoor media will converge to release and report on new products scheduled to hit stores in 2019.
The excitement and anticipation is at a near peak as the show is just a few days away, and anyone looking to plan a future purchase to extend their shooting or hunting arsenal is waiting to learn about what’s new.
Once SHOT wraps up, turkey season is right around the corner, and the time to consider upgrading your old warhorse shotgun to a newer model is at hand. Plus, there are some new chokes and shot that are as technologically advanced as anything on the market.
Here are a few examples of what’s coming out in 2019 with turkey hunters in mind.
Browning TSS Tungsten Turkey Shot
The days of passing up skeptical longbeards at 50 yards and beyond are gone. The new heavy loads from Browning are designed to reach further with more consistency, which is achieved thanks to the density of tungsten. Available in Spring of 2019, the new loads from Browning are the densest shot on the market. Pattern them and see for yourself.
- 5 percent more pellets and two times the energy at 60 yards
- Multiple offerings in all states: 12 ga. 3-inch No.7 and No. 7/9 blend; 12 ga. 3 1/2-inch No. 7 and No. 7/9 blend; 20 ga. 3-inch No. 7 and No. 7/9 blend; 410 bore in 3-inch No. 9
- Five rounds per box
Federal Premium HeavyWeight TSS Turkey Shot
HeavyWeight TSS extends its deadly reach on gobblers with five new loads, including blends that combine No. 7 and 9 or 8 and 10 Tungsten Super Shot. With some payloads topping 1,000 pellets, they are more than double the shot count of lead No. 5 loads of the same weight that results in more pellets in the target. The tungsten-alloy material’s 18 g/cc density is 22-percent higher than standard tungsten and 56-percent more than lead. The rear-braking FliteControl Flex wad performs flawlessly through ported and standard turkey chokes for extremely consistent and deadly patterns.
- New blended and fine-shot payloads offer unprecedented pellet counts
- Roll crimp and clear card wad keeps buffering material in place
- Full-length wads prevent direct contact of the extra-hard pellets and bore, protecting the barrel
- Available in 12 ga. 3 1/2- inch No. 7/9 blend; 12 ga. 3 1/2-inch 8/10 blend; 20 ga. 3-inch No. 7/9 blend; 20 ga. 3-inch 8/10 blend; 20 ga. 3-inch No. 9
- A portion of the proceeds are donated to the National Wild Turkey Federation
- Five rounds per package
Primos TSS JellyHead Choke Tube
Specifically designed for TSS loads that have become very popular with turkey hunters across the nation, the new JellyHead will also shoot extremely tight patterns with Hevi-Shot, copper plated and lead shot. The extended choke tube also allows for easy installation and removal by hand without the need for tools.
- Clean the threads in the muzzle and on the JellyHead TSS choke tube before installing to avoid thread fouling
- Use a quality choke-tube grease to coat the threads before installing
- Screw the tube into the muzzle, be careful to not cross-thread, hand tighten only
- Do not over tighten, and check tightness of the tube every three to five shots to ensure a tight fit
- Not to be used with steel shot
- Available in Remington 12 ga. and Benelli/Beretta 12 ga. models
Stevens by Savage 301 Turkey .410
HeavyWeight TSS turkey loads have transformed the .410 into a serious gobbler gun, with powerful, consistent patterns and minimal recoil through light, fast-handling shotguns like the new Stevens 301 Turkey. Its single-shot, break action is simple and incredibly reliable, and the 26-inch barrel is optimized fro the new tungsten turkey loads. The removable one-piece rail makes it easy to equip the 301 with an optic, and tis available in Mossy Oak Bottomland and Obsession camo patterns.
- Synthetic stock and fore-end in Mossy Oak Bottomland or Obsession
- 3-inch chamber
- Bead sight compatible with TruGlo sight systems
- Extra-full choke included
- Manual hammer blocking safety
- Recoil pad
- Overall weight 5.07 pounds
Savage Model 212/220 Bolt Action Turkey Shotguns
Originally only offered through Savage Special Order Office, the Model 212 and 220 bolt-action turkey shotguns are now available at gun dealers everywhere. Both are built around the 110 rifle action, which is machined from steel bar stock and secured three-dimensionally along its entire length by the AccuStock internal chassis. The blued, 22-inch carbon steel barrels are free-floating and secured to the receiver using a Model 110-style locking nut that ensures shot-to-shot consistency.
- Smoothbore bolt-action shotgun platform built like a rifle
- Detachable box magazine
- User-adjustable AccuTrigger
- One-piece synthetic stock with Mossy Oak Obsession camouflage
- One-piece rail for easy optic mounting