First comes SHOT Show, then comes turkey season — a time of year greatly anticipated by both hunters and shooters across the nation as they get a preliminary look at new products set to hit hunting and shooting store shelves.
Before spring turkey season kicks off, all outdoor media and hunting and shooting manufactures meet up for the largest outdoor trade show in the world — SHOT is held in Las Vegas.
If turkey hunting is your bag, then you’ll want to pay close attention, as there will be an impressive number of new turkey-hunting products being unveiled. Here are several sneak peeks from renowned companies Hunters Specialties and Primos.
HS Strut Cookie Cutt’R
There is no question that learning how to adequately run a turkey call takes practice. The Cookie Cutt’R trims the learning curve and helps novice callers become experts in no time at all. The call is a convention pot produced with HS Strut’s best injection molded pot coupled with a slate striking surface. The company designed a durable quick-release removable cap that allows new and veteran hunters quick access to the right sweet spots on the call. It eliminates all the guesswork.
- Removable quick-reference cap has a slot for yelping, clucking and purring
- Easy to use and very durable, producing lifelike turkey calls
- Slots are designed to insert the striker tip and move it in the direction of the included arrows to produce consistent calls every time.
- Once the user gets the hang of the calling method, simply remove the cap for an unrestricted calling surface.
HS Strut Lite Turkey Decoys
Getting a big wary gobbler to commit to close quarters requires a visual set up to augment the audio attraction produced from your calls. The new Strut Lite turkey decoys feature a totally new body design that improved upon other models, which makes them easier to carry and set up — at a fraction of the price. The new body design is lightweight, foldable, with a hollow body construction for easy transportation and storage.
- Open bottom design reduces weight without compromising realistic body appearance
- Quick setup and takedown
- Upright Hen is perfect for position as if she is ready to be bred
- Jake semi-aggressive position encourages toms to engage in battle
- Feeder hen indicates contentment, which can calm an alarmed bird
- Can be used individually, or together for the flock effect
Primos Camo Snuff Tube
Primos is reintroducing an old-school Snuff Tube Call, and in the classic and favorite Mossy Oak Original Bottomland. The Snuff Tube is highly versatile allowing hunters to easily produce clucks, cuts, yelps and even gobbles — all from just one call. The molded tube and reed ensures a perfect fit and reed tension for making all the sounds required to lure in and kill skeptical longbeards.
- Easy to run, produces clucks, cuts, yelps and gobbles
- Molded tube in Mossy Oak Bottomland
- Molded reed to ensure perfect fit and tension
- Comes with extra reed
HS Strut Undertaker Chest Pack
The new breed of turkey hunter is ultra mobile, agile and prepared to fool an old gobbler with minimal gear. The new Undertaker Chest Pack carries everything you need and nothing you don't. The unique, compact design is ideal for holding all the essentials without the added weight, bulk and warmth of a conventional turkey vest. The pack also provides quick and durable rapid access to all accessories and gear, and it sits comfortably on the hunter’s chest, secured by an adjustable four-point harness.
- Molded drop-down front interior compartment
- Allows storage for two pot calls and strikers can be stored in exterior striker holster
- Mesh pockets for several mouth calls
- Exterior lower pocket fits a favorite box call
- Plenty of additional space for gloves, facemask binoculars, ammo, bug spray and even a cell phone
Primos Foggy Bottom Pot Call
The Primos Foggy Bottom pot calls with Mossy Oak Original Bottomland camo are offered in both frictionite and glass surfaces. This field-proven call has countless successful hunts to its credit already, and will continue to seductively draw bird in for close, easy shots.
- Available in both glass and frictionite finishes for multiple sound options
- Proven pot design
- Wood cup and sound board
- One-piece striker
- Easy to run and durable for years of enjoyable use
HS Strut Slingblade Box Call
Running any turkey call effectively takes plenty of practice and time in the field to become a master. Everything from positioning, rhythm and cadence can affect the tone and productivity of any call. Shortening the learning curve will make new, budding hunters more effective sooner. For Spring 2019, HS Strut is launching one of the easiest-to-use box calls ever built.
- Single-sided box call constructed of a solid billet of American walnut with an exotic Purple Heart lid
- With only one striking side, the open-close operation is fool proof
- Off side is taller, which stops the paddle in the same place creating consistent and productive calls
- Hand-tuned call is capable of producing every sound a wild turkey produces, and makes it very easy to master
Primos Waterboard Box Call
If you need to make a gobbler talk, rain or shine, the Primos Waterboard is your call. With each side of the box producing different tones, you can replicate the sounds of multiple hens with realistic cuts, clucks, purrs and yelps. The mahogany box and canary paddle is a great combination for seductive calls, plus it works wet or dry.
- 100 percent waterproof
- Waterproof coating on paddle and box
- Double-sided box call that produces tones of two different hens
- Mahogany box/Canary paddle