February 10, 2021
By M.D. Johnson
My dad came up with this recipe many years ago and never bothered to name it, so I just call it "pop's rabbit recipe." It's still one of my all-time favorites. It's fairly straightforward, if a bit time consuming, and very much worth the effort.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
- 2 rabbits cut into 5 pieces each (front legs, back legs and back)
- 2 cups seasoned flour
- Egg wash or milk
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 2 small cans of mushrooms
- 2 (12-ounce) cans of diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 (4-inch) pieces of hot Italian sausage
- 1 can of mandarin orange slices (optional)
- Dip the rabbit pieces in egg wash and roll lightly in seasoned flour. Brown in bacon grease in a hot cast iron skillet and set aside.
- In a heavy dutch oven or slow cooker, begin layering ingredients—diced tomatoes, sliced onions, mushrooms, one piece of sausage and three pieces of browned rabbit. Repeat until ingredients are gone.
- Place dutch oven in a 350-degree oven for one hour.
- Serve over plain white rice with steamed asparagus or Brussels sprouts and (ideally) homemade sourdough bread.