Must Try: Camp Chef's 30-Minute Venison Chili
Need a quick and easy venison chili recipe to serve at deer camp? Then give this one from Camp Chef a try; you can prepare and cook it with a handful of ingredients in less than a half-hour!
Every year at the annual SHOT Show in Las Vegas, one of the more popular events is the annual Industry Day at the Range.
Most years, the weather is warm. But at the 2017 version of the SHOT Show, the weather was a bit chillier than usual.
Something that conspired to make one of the most popular booths at the event where the Camp Chef folks were set up to cook a simple, yet filling, venison chili recipe.
To start this recipe off right, pre-heat a cast-iron Dutch oven. (Lynn Burkhead photo)
Using the Camp Chef Pro 60X Two-Burner Stove and a Camp Chef Dutch Oven, Brooks Hansen and his co-worker, Ryan Neely, demonstrated the quick and easy way to make up a batch of 30-minute venison chili.
"First, you've got to have the venison, so you've got to be a successful hunter," said Camp Chef's Brooks Hansen. "So go get the venison (and have it ground up).
"Aside from that, the more prep work you can do before you go to deer camp, the better off you're going to be," he continued.
The next step in Camp Chef's quick-and-easy venison chili recipe is to brown some ground venison in the Dutch oven. (Lynn Burkhead photo)
"Bring your venison in a cooler, ready to go. And have your seasonings pre-mixed and ready to go too. And maybe even some vegetables ready – if you want to add some of those in – pre-packaged in a vacuum sealed bag."
And after that? Fire up the cook stove and let it heat up the Dutch oven. Then mix the venison, spices, water and chili beans together, and let it all cook and simmer for up to a half-hour.
Next, add in all the spices, some water and pour in four 15-ounce cans of chili beans, sauce and all. (Lynn Burkhead photo)
How does it all turn out? Well, let's just say that none of the participants at the Industry Day at the Range did much more than eagerly gobble up the chili on a cool, windy winter's day in the Nevada desert.
While sporting huge smiles ... and eagerly asking for seconds.
Yeah, it was that good!
Camp Chef Venison Chili Ingredients (serves six people):
- 1 pound of ground venison
- 2 tablespoons of Camp Chef Kickin' BBQ Rub
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1, 15-ounce can of chili beans
By following the spice ingredient list, this is an easy-to-fix, easy-to-follow recipe requiring only five to 10 minutes of preparation and no more than a half-hour of cooking time. (Lynn Burkhead photo)
- Brown the ground venison in a Dutch oven
- Mix the various spices (Camp Chef Kickin' BBQ Rub, Cumin, Chili Powder) together in a plastic bowl or cup
- Mix the spice mixture into the ground venison burger with a spatula, stirring well.
- Add in the water
- Add in the can of chili beans, mixing well with a spoon, spatula or ladle
- Let the chili cook and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
Stir everything together, cooking and simmering for 20 to 30 minutes. (Lynn Burkhead photo)
Additional Venison Chili Tips:
- You can use a mixture of ground venison, ground beef or even pork sausage to help add additional fat.
- To boost the heat, add more Camp Chef Kickin' BBQ Rub for a more spicy kick.
- By inserting one of Camp Chef's aluminum Dutch oven disposable liners, clean-up is a breeze.
After the chili has cooked and simmered, serve it up and enjoy! (Lynn Burkhead photo)