May 16, 2022
Jump to Recipe
Editor's note: Hosting brunch on your backyard patio? Make this Morel Mushroom Tartine Recipe on your outdoor grill so you can entertain and join in on the fun!
When my husband and I were in Scotland, our outdoor guide told us that his favorite way to prepare morels was sautéed and served on toast. I had never thought to serve mushrooms this way, but took note and saved this idea for another day.
In French, tartine means “slice of bread.” This open-faced sandwich can be topped with anything, but don’t skimp on the bread because it’s the foundation that holds everything together. For this specific tartine recipe, sourdough was a nice complement to the buttery morels, fried egg and copious amounts of cheese.
How to Make This Morel Mushroom Tartine Recipe
Serve these morel mushroom tartines with tall glasses of mimosa on your backyard patio and you’ll have one great Sunday brunch!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 6 ounces of Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cooking oil
- 10 ounces of morel mushrooms, sliced if necessary
- 1 to 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons of softened butter, separated
- Whole mustard, to taste
- Handful of pea tendrils or microgreens
- Goat cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a skillet and fry eggs until golden on the edges. Remove eggs from the skillet and keep warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook morel mushrooms in batches until golden and no longer watery. Then add sliced shallot and sauté until softened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove mushrooms and shallot and set aside.
- Spread butter on both sides of bread slices. Toast bread in the skillet until golden on both sides. Then spread whole mustard on one side of toast and transfer to a cookie sheet.
- Evenly divide the mushrooms on top of the bread. Cover the morels with Gruyère cheese. Broil toast until cheese is completely melted.
- Promptly remove toast from the oven and top each with pea tendrils, crumbled goat cheese to taste, a fried egg, salt and pepper.