Steve Rinella, host of Meateater on Sportsman Channel, teaches us how to make an amazing brine for our fresh trout catches.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 6 trout fillets (approximately 4 ounces per fillet)
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the water, salt, honey, rum and lemon juice. Stir to dissolve.
- Submerge the trout fillets, skin side down, in the brine for about an hour.
- Remove fillets from brine and rinse them under cold water. Pat fillets dry with paper towels and place on a wire rack to continue drying until they feel tacky to the touch.
- Smoke the fillets, skin side down, over apple or cherry wood until the flesh flakes along clean lines when pressed (approximately 160 degrees).
- Serve lemon brine trout warm or chilled.
Note: Another option is to grill the brined trout fillets. Serve grilled fillets warm off the grill as an entrée.