Lemon Brine Trout Recipe
Trying to eat light and healthy, but still want something tasty and satisfying? This lemon brine trout recipe is for you
Steve Rinella, host of Meateater on Sportsman Channel, teaches us how to make an amazing brine for our fresh trout catches.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 6 trout fillets (approximately 4 ounces per fillet)
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a bowl, combine the water, salt, honey, rum and lemon juice. Stir to dissolve.
- Submerge the trout fillets, skin side down, in the brine for about an hour.
- Remove fillets from brine and rinse them under cold water. Pat fillets dry with paper towels and place on a wire rack to continue drying until they feel tacky to the touch.
- Smoke the fillets, skin side down, over apple or cherry wood until the flesh flakes along clean lines when pressed (approximately 160 degrees).
- Serve lemon brine trout warm or chilled.
Note: Another option is to grill the brined trout fillets. Serve grilled fillets warm off the grill as an entrée.