October 13, 2020
This venison steak recipe is my favorite for breakfast or brunch. I normally cook this dish with leftovers after grilling venison backstrap or tenderloin the day before. The ingredients are simple – venison steak, eggs and avocado. It’s quick and easy to make, and it’s healthy for low-carb diets.
Total time: 20 minutes or less
Diet: Low Carb (Keto, Paleo)
- 4 ounces of venison steak (backstrap or tenderloin)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Salt or seasoned salt
- Garlic salt
- Favorite seasonings for venison steak
- Olive oil
- If you have leftover venison steak, reheat, slice into strips and set aside. Otherwise season a 4- to 5-ounce of backstrap or tenderloin steak (completely thawed). Preheat a small pan (10-inch will work fine) with medium to medium-high heat. Once heated, drop steak into pan. After 3 to 4 minutes, turn the steak over for another 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the steak thickness, this should yield rare to medium-rare. If you like your venison steak cooked differently, have at it. Once the venison steak is done to your liking, wrap it up in some aluminum foil to let it rest a few minutes. After a short rest period, slice the steak into thin strips and set aside.
- Slice in half 1 large ripe Gwen or Hass avocado. Remove seed pit and skin. Slice into long thin strips, set aside with the sliced steak.
- Crack and dump yolks from 3 large eggs into a bowl. Lightly season with salt (or seasoned salt), pepper and garlic salt. Beat egg yolks and seasonings together.
- In a small pan (the same 10-inch used from the steak is fine), pour in a few tablespoons of olive oil. Using a low to medium stove burner setting, preheat pan and olive oil.
- Once olive oil is heated, pour seasoned egg-yolk mixture into pan. Cook/scramble eggs until done to your liking. Just like the steak, do not overcook.
- While scrambled eggs are still hot, split and dump equal parts into two bowls. Sprinkle an ounce or so of shredded cheddar cheese over scrambled eggs. In equal portions, place sliced venison steak and avocado in with the scrambled eggs.
- Serve, eat and enjoy immediately.
Serving tip: If having this dish for brunch or an early lunch, serve with a Walker’s Southern Bloody Mary. You will NOT be disappointed.