September 30, 2019
The Intex Pro Inflatable Kayak is a lightweight, portable fishing craft for anglers who want to get off the shore. I had the opportunity to test this kayak and found it to be a solid inflatable option at a great price point.
The first thing I noticed when opening the box how well the kayak and its accessories fit inside the carry bag. I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to get everything back in the bag after use, but it ended up being easier than I thought (one word of advice: pay attention to how each part of the kayak is folded when you first take it out of the box. It might even be useful to take photos).
One of my favorite features of the Intex Excursion Pro is the locking high-output pump. The locking mechanism holds the pump in place and makes inflation a breeze. It only took 10 minutes to inflate all three chambers of the kayak and the two seats. With the Explorer K2 model, you have to hold the end of the pump until the kayak is filled.
The included pressure gauge is handy for ensuring each chamber is inflated to the recommended PSI. It takes some practice to figure out how to angle the gauge while inserted, but otherwise, it is easy to use.
This Intex Excursion Pro features a customizable seating configuration to fit either a single user or two. The seats attach to the kayak using strong velcro and can be adjusted forward or backward depending on the user's height. Two adults fit comfortably, and there is enough space in the bow and stern to enjoy your time out on the water.
Another excellent feature of the Excursion Pro are the footrests, which give you a bit more leverage when paddling. I noticed I did not tire as quickly compared to paddling in the Explorer K2. The Excursion Pro includes three different positions for each seat so you can find the perfect angle.
Fishing from the Excursion Pro was a breeze. The two removable fishing rod holders worked well for holding the rods until we found our fishing spot. The kayak felt sturdy when casting and was comfortable while fishing.
Compared to the Explorer K2, the Excursion Pro has several upgrades: footrests, metal D-rings, fishing pole holders, booster, accessory bar, and heavy-duty material.
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak Specs/Features:
- Super-tough laminate material with polyester core; high-impact and abrasion-resistant
- High-pressure inflation provides extra rigidity and stability; high-pressure spring-loaded valves
- Two removable skegs
- Two floor-mounted footrests
- Two integrated recessed fishing rod holders
- Removable and adjustable mounting bracket for accessories such as GPS systems, fish finders, swivel fishing rod holders, etc.
- Grab handles on both ends
- Two adjustable bucket seats
- Inflatable booster pad for elevated seating
- Storage space in bow and stern; stainless steel D-rings for tying down dry bags and gear
- 3-ply super tough construction employs a high molecular PVC; resistant to damage from abrasion, impact, and sunlight
- Built with durable 30-gauge vinyl
- Includes 86-inch aluminum oars and high-output pump
- Includes a carry bag and repair patch
- Weight capacity: 400 lbs (2 people + gear)
- Approximate dimensions: 151 x 13 x 18 inches
- MSRP: $299.99
Overall, the Intex Excursion Pro is a good-choice inflatable kayak for those who may not have the storage space or ability to transport a full-size craft. This would be the perfect beginner kayak, as well as an affordable option for those looking for a lightweight fishing boat.