Hunter's Shepherd's Pie Recipe
The venison in this shepherd's pie adds a gaminess that hunters will love
This ground venison recipe can be made so many ways. Use this as your recipe foundation and build it according to your own family's taste.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 or 2 ½ quart baking dish and set aside.
2. Sauté chopped onion in the olive oil until tender. Add the ground venison and brown meat. You may use ¼ pound of ground pork or ground beef to reduce the amount of ground venison to ¾ pound.
3. Drain well and place back in the skillet. Add the tomato sauce, garlic/onion powder and oregano. Place in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
4. Place the partially cooked green beans on top of the ground meat. Instead of green beans, you may sauté chopped green and red pepper, mushrooms, peas or your favorite vegetable.
5. Mash the potatoes with ½ cup milk and egg and place evenly over the green beans. Top with shredded cheese (optional).
6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling.
For more venison recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.