April 06, 2022
By Field 2 Grill
Jump to Recipe
Smoking ice is extremely easy and takes ordinary beverages (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) to the next level. Once you try it, you'll wonder why you have not done it sooner.
You can make plain smoked ice or infuse the ice with different ingredients such as orange peel, rosemary sprigs, and sliced jalapeños. The flavor combination possibilities you can do are endless. You are only limited by your imagination!
As the smoked ice melts, its smokiness will add a delicious smoky flavor to your drink. Smoked ice infused with other ingredients will add even more flavor. Whatever flavor combination you choose will seep its flavors into the beverage as the ice melts for a unique taste with every sip.
How to Smoke Ice in Your Smoker
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 2-4 hours (depending on outside temperature and your preference for smoke infusion)
Ingredients and Tools:
- Trays of ice
- Smoke tube
- Wood chips
- Any additional ingredients you would like to add (rosemary, jalapeños, honey, orange, lemon)
- If it is above 80 degrees F outside, move your smoker into the shade. If it is below 80 degrees F, move your smoker into the sun. If it is in the middle of winter, then you can forgo the smoke tube and use your smoker on the lowest setting possible.
- Fill your smoke tube with the wood of your choice. Think about what type of beverage you are going to be adding the smoked ice to. For instance, if you are making smoked ice infused with cucumber for a refreshing summertime drink then you'll want to use a light fruit wood like cherry or peach. If you are going to use it for an evening nightcap like bourbon, then you'll want to use a more potent type of wood like oak or mesquite. Since I am using this particular batch for both instances, I am using pecan wood. Really you can do whatever your taste buds tell you.
- Light the wood with a fire torch and then blow it out. Make sure the wood is at a slow burn (creating more smoke than heat).
- Place the smoking tube in the far end of your smoker opposite end from the stack. Close the lid and go grab some ice.
- Add trays of ice to the smoker. The ice should start to melt within a couple of hours allowing the water to absorb the smoke. If you want a real smoky flavor, let the trays sit for 4 hours while the smoke tube burns through the wood.
- While the ice melting and absorbing the smoke, prep the additional ingredients you want to add later for the refreezing process.
- Once the smoke-infused water to done, add it to either an ice tray or silicone container. I use silicone in order to get large dense ice balls. Add your ingredients to each individual ice cube or ball and freeze for a few days.
- Add infused ice to your favorite beverage and enjoy!
For more info on Field 2 Grill, visit: f2goutdoors.com