How to Freeze Morel Mushrooms
Have some morel mushrooms in your fridge that are about to go bad? Give them a longer life by properly freezing them
Freezing morel mushrooms is easy with these step-by-step directions.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- Morel mushrooms, whole or sliced
- Lemon juice (if blanching or steaming)
1. First, clean morel mushrooms well. You may freeze them whole or sliced in half; that's up to you.
2. Before storing them in the freezer, you must cook them until they are almost ready to eat. Not half done, but almost done. The way to get them to this point is using one of the three methods below.
- Blanche Method: Place clean morels in boiling water that has 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in it. For the sliced pieces, you would blanche them for 3 minutes and for whole morel mushrooms it will take 5 minutes.
- Steam Method: Place clean mushrooms in lemon juice for 5 minutes. Steam sliced mushrooms for 3 minutes and whole mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Sauté Method: Sauté small amounts in frying pan until almost done.
3. Cool mushrooms immediately and drain. They can be frozen plain or you may prepare them as you would for frying. To prepare for frying, dip morels in egg wash and roll in flour or bread crumbs and then place them on a cookie sheet.
4. Freeze them on the cookie sheet and then bag them frozen. I would use these up within 60 days because of the egg.
For more morel mushroom recipes and tips, visit MissHomemade.com.