Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
Homemade Italian Salad Dressing:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried celery leaves or flakes
Venison Sandwich Ingredients:
- 1 (2- to 4-pound) venison roast (depending on how many your feeding)
- Better Than Bouillon Beef Base (sold in a jar)
- 1 (16-ounce) jar Pepperoncini peppers
- Sauteed green peppers and onions
- Hoagie buns
- Shredded mozzarella cheese (or your favorite cheese for melting)
- Mix ingredients for Homemade Italian Salad Dressing together and store in a tightly closed container in a cool and dry place.
- Fill your slow cooker 1/2 full of water (this is for the broth). Add 1 heaping tablespoon of the Better Than Bouillon Beef Base to the water. Mix well and taste it. If it is watered down, add some more of the beef base.
- Add the entire jar of Pepperoncini peppers to the broth and give it a quick stir or two. Carefully add the venison roast. Measure out 4 tablespoons of the homemade Italian Salad Dressing mix and sprinkle it over the roast and into the broth.
- Cook venison and broth on high for 6-8 hours or until the roast is falling apart. I place the roast on a platter and shred it with a fork and put back in the broth.
- If you wish, toast the hoagie buns in the oven and dunk the bottom half of the top bun in the broth. Fill with the shredded meat, add the sauteed peppers and onion and top with cheese. Place under a broiler until the cheese is melted. Is your mouth watering now? It should be.
For more venison recipes from Miss Homemade, visit: http://www.misshomemade.com/venisonroastrecipe.html