Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. You will need a 9-inch pie pan.
2. For the pastry, sift flour and salt together. Cut in butter and add just enough ice water to hold pastry together. Roll out and line a 9-inch pie pan. Chill.
3. For the filling, combine sugar, flour, salt and scalded milk. Cook in a double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly until it thickens. Add slowly to slightly beaten egg yolks. Return to the double boiler and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter, vanilla and walnuts. Cool.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the cooled milk mixture. Pour into the unbaked pastry shell and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until filling is firm; approximately 25 minutes. This pie may be topped with whipped cream when served.
For more pie recipes, visit MissHomemade.com.