Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 12-14 (¼-inch) thick elk steaks
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 green or red jalapeño's, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
1. To make the chimichurri sauce, add all ingredients except the meat into a blender and pulse until smooth.
Chimichurri sauce for the grilled elk venison steaks. (Photo courtesy of NevadaFoodies.com)
2. Cut elk venison into 1/4-inch thick steaks and rub half of chimichurri marinade on steaks.
3. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. Let steaks become room temperature before grilling, about 30 minutes.
Grilled elk venison steaks marinating in the chimichurri sauce. (Photo courtesy of NevadaFoodies.com)
4. Heat barbecue to high heat. Grill elk venison steaks quickly for about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove and cover loosely with foil for 10 minutes.
5. Slice each steak diagonally against the grain and serve with additional chimichurri sauce and toasted sourdough baguette rounds.
For more venison recipes, visit NevadaFoodies.com.