October 30, 2017
Serves: 8 to 12
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 6-8 hours
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter, divided
- 1-2 pounds turtle meat, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups tomato purée
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 tablespoon each salt and black pepper
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Dry sherry
1. In a 5-quart saucepan, melt ½ stick of butter and add turtle meat. Cook over high heat until the meat is brown.
2. Add celery, onion, garlic and seasonings; cook until vegetables are transparent.
3. Transfer to a large Crock-Pot and stir in tomato purée, beef stock, salt and pepper. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
4. Make a roux by melting the remaining 2 sticks of butter in a cast-iron skillet. Add flour a little at a time and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the roux is light brown.
5. Stir roux into soup in Crock-Pot and continue cooking on low heat until soup is smooth and thickened. Add lemon juice and parsley.
6. At the table, add 1 teaspoon sherry to each soup plate before serving.