Giant Venison Meatballs with Polenta and Asparagus Recipe
"Hunt Masters" show host Gregg Ritz's giant venison meatballs with polenta and asparagus recipe will impress anyone, even those used to the traditional turkey and ham.
December 14, 2017
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 to 2 pounds of ground venison, depending on the size of your party
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup of merlot
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce (mine is Rao’s)
- 1 sleeve or box of your favorite polenta
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine ground venison, eggs, breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and form into 2 to 4 large meatballs (depending on size of crowd). In a deep nonstick pan over high heat, brown meatballs on all sides in oil. Remove meatballs from pan and set aside.
- Deglaze pan with merlot, scraping up all brown bits. Next, stir in a jar of marina sauce, and then return meatballs back into the pan. Cover the pan and steam meatballs for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Mix polenta according to package directions. Sauté asparagus with olive oil until tender and season to taste. Spoon polenta onto a plate, top it with meatballs, and then garnish with asparagus. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!