May 11, 2015
If you don't have an elk venison rump roast in your freezer, you can substitute a deer roast for this recipe. Also, save some of the chipotle butter and use it on toasted French bread to serve alongside this dish.
- 1 elk venison rump roast
- Olive oil
Dry Rub Marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cube butter
- 2 chipotle pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- Mix all dry rub ingredients together and rub all over your elk rump roast. Let meat marinate for 12-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- To make the Chipotle Butter: In a bowl, mix together softened butter, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, cumin and coriander. Roll out a piece of plastic wrap and place mixed butter in the center. Take one side of your plastic wrap and fold over the butter. Begin to roll the butter to form a round cylinder. Twist the ends and place the butter in the refrigerator to firm back up.
- Remove the seasoned elk rump roast and let sit on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Heat outdoor grill and barbecue meat, turning a few times so not to burn. Remove the roast from the heat when the internal temperature reaches 130 degrees.
- Add a few slices of chipotle butter to the top of the roast and cover loosely with foil. Let the meat rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the elk roast against the grain and serve with a side salad.
For more elk venison recipes, visit: nevadafoodies.com