Utilize some of those roasts you have in the freezer to make this Elk Parmesan recipe for dinner. Slice a 1 ½-pound elk venison roast into steaks and tenderize until you have steaks that are about ¼-inch thick. Combine simple seasonings, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese to create a delicious outer crust and then combine with wilted spinach and your favorite marinara sauce.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 ½-pound elk venison roast
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs + 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup Canola oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic or garlic scapes, finely diced
- 5 cups fresh spinach, tightly packed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut elk roast into 8 steaks and pound with a meat tenderizer until they are about ¼-inch thick. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and water. Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add oil. Dip meat in egg and then press firmly in bread crumbs. Brown meat in skillet and remove it when done. You may need to do this in batches. Set aside on a paper towel when done.
- Drain oil from skillet and add butter. Sauté shallots and garlic until fragrant. Add spinach and cook until lightly wilted.
- Add the elk steaks back to the skillet. Pour marinara sauce over the top of the steaks and spinach. Divide the ricotta cheese and add it to the skillet. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to cook until meat is tender.