Easy Venison Summer Sausage Recipe
Making summer sausage is a perfect way to enjoy some tasty venison
Yield: 4 venison summer sausage logs
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 ½ hours
- 3 pounds ground venison with no fat (deer, elk, antelope)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (or ground pork)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 3 tablespoons Tender Quick
- Mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Add to the ground venison and ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Form mixture into 2 ½-inch logs approximately 8-inches long and pack tightly. Wrap in aluminum foil and chill for 24 hours.
- Take logs out of the refrigerator and pierce several times through the foil.
- Bake on a broiler rack over a broiler pan at 325 degrees for 1 ½ hours. Take the foil off and place back on the rack to finish dripping. Rewrap and refrigerate or freeze.
- Note: You may also use an empty, clean soup can. Just spray (or rub) well with oil and pack with the meat mixture. Bake it in the can and the meat will slide right out.
For more venison recipes and tips from Raschell Rule, visit: misshomemade.com