Deep-Fried Turtle Nuggets Recipe
If you have never cooked turtle meat before, the easiest way to start is by frying it
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- Turtle meat from one turtle
- 1 ½ cups homemade Bisquick
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon homemade garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon homemade onion powder
1. Soak the turtle meat in cold salt water for about an hour. Drain, then add fresh water to cover and add a ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Simmer until nearly done (or pressure cook 20 minutes at 10 pounds with salt water, not baking soda).
2. Remove from juice and wash in cool water, debone it and set aside.
3. Make a thin batter with the Bisquick, seasonings and water. Coat pieces of meat in batter and deep fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Handle with tongs so the meat does not come loose from the batter.
For more turtle recipes, please visit MissHomemade.com.